… and I must admit, I never thought I would. Since my intent has been to teach middle schoolers (and eventually my own children) and write novels, my bachelorette has been just right for my needs.
But, if I ever do go back, I found my dream degree: a Master’s in English with a focus on Tolkien Studies from the Mythgard Institute.
Call me nerdy, but I think I already qualify.
- I have my bachelor’s in English.
- I like Tolkien. A lot.
- I’ve read the Silmarillion (and can spell it properly without assistance).
- I beat everyone in Lord of the Rings Trivial Pursuit (besides my mom, but she’s a Tolkien fan too) and add answers from the book as well when applicable.
- I know Luthien and Beren are Arwen’s great-great-grandparents but they are Aragorn’s great-great-great-great……great-great-great-grandparents.
- I can speak a little bit of Sindarin Elvish.
- I had a LOTR birthday party and my amazing mom made a cake that looked like Bag End. (It even had a Ring hidden inside! Picture of it below.)
- I made a banner like the one in Arwen’s room in The Two Towers. (Picture of it below too.)
- Even my wedding had a touch of Middle-earth in its feel. I’m sure my Elvish-inspired circlet helped. (Picture of it below too.)
- I painted my old bedroom door like the Door of Durin but wrote my own message on it. (I’ll take a picture asap and add it. It’s still at my parents’ house.)
Now all I need is the extra time and money to do it…. : )